Thursday, January 19, 2012

Jim's Jazzy Creatures



With today's post I want to celebrate the recent Italian edition of Jim Flora's 
The Day The Cow Sneezed. To my knowledge, this is the first time that a book 
by Flora has been published in my country, and as they say, better late than never!
My gratitude goes to the wonderful publisher Orecchio Acerbo for bringing us 
another classic, after their beautiful re-editions of Peter Newell.


Like many, I discovered Flora through his famous jazz record covers before realizing 
that he had written and illustrated 17 children's books between 1955 and 1982.
The Day the Cow Sneezed was published in 1957, and was the second of the series.
Here's a peek at many of the other volumes, with links to more illustrations and info when available. 
And if you are not familiar with the artist, you may read his biography in Italian and English.








Fishing with Dad, 1967

The Joking Man, 1968




My thanks goes to the website and blog dedicated to Flora, and to the always delicious
Vintage Kid's Book My Kid Loves, which has uploaded most of the artist's books.

2 comments:

  1. Wow! I was only vaguely aware of his work, but this stuff is seriously good. the illo from the great green turkey creek monster combines two of my favourite things - monsters and cross sections :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Amazing work!! I didn't know it and I've just falled in love, thank you ;))

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails