Sunday, April 10, 2011

Princess of the Shining Night



Some of you will remember last year's post about Philip Giordano
the winner of Bologna's first international award for illustration.
This year the prize was awarded to the wonderful Taiwanese artist Page Tsou,
while the fair dedicated an exhibition to the paintings from Philip's last book 
La Princesa Noche Resplandeciente, just published in Spain by Ediciones SM.
Based on an ancient Japanese folk tale about the birth of Mount Fuji, the book 
tells the story of the impossible love between the Princess of the Shining Night
and the emperor of Japan. These are a few of the illustrations exposed.






My photos are not great, but I hope you'll agree with me that the artworks are remarkable!
I really love Giordano's personal interpretation of the magic and mysterious world of legends. 
And  here is a little video for those who want to find out how these beauties were created:


5 comments:

  1. Reminds me of the movie "Spirited Away" - filled with ethereal creatures. Wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  2. exquisite, and so timely to release at this time of Japan's terrible crisis. It does remind me of 'Spirited Away' as well...that animation was a revelation when I saw it too..The graphic sensibility of it's design, the pace of it mirroring so well the fantastic inner life of childhood. Thanks for this post.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ....PS-Your photos are excellent.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fabulous images, thanks for sharing this!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Funjuice, Ms. and Sandi, thanks for your comments.
    I agree, the illustrations remind me of Miyazaki's incredible movie too!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails