Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Enchanting Mr. Anderson


Chris Appelhans' preliminary artworks for Fantastic Mr. Fox

Last August, in two of Animalarium's earliest posts, I expressed my excitement about the upcoming Where the Wild Things Are and Fantastic Mr. Fox. After seeing Spike Jonze's movie, I'll admit having mixed feelings about his adaptation of one of my most beloved children's books. Now, I am very happy to say that last night my exceedingly high expectations were more than matched by Anderson's production of Roald Dahl's classic children's story (and not just because I have a passion for foxes). I was absolutely delighted by just about everything in his movie, and so seems Mrs. Dahl. Watch her interview in this short promotional clip, where one can also have a glimpse of the amazing and painstaking work of the stop motion animation team. I had no idea that Wes Anderson had moved into Dahl's house to write the script, then photographed and reproduced every piece of furniture in it! Details like this make me appreciate my favorite director's aesthetically obsessive nature even more...

3 comments:

  1. Very reassuring, I am scared to go and see it, but I love that detail of copying all of the Dahl's furniture and these preparitory works are delightful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice to meet you. I have a animal´s blog too!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Extraordinary, all of it. I too have an affinity for foxes... and wolves. :~) The behind the scenes video is so enchanting.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails